Rarefied Light 2022 Call for Entry is now open!
We are pleased to announce that Rarefied Light 2022 Call for Entry will be open from March 7 to June 7, 2022 and will be hosted through callforentry.org. Dan Burkholder will be serving as juror for Rarefied Light, Alaska’s largest touring photography show. This year, Rarefied Light will be expanding its statewide tour to Valdez, as well as stopping in the Kenai, Fairbanks and Anchorage. We look forward to seeing your submissions!
Link to Prospectus and Entry Form through Call for Entry: https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=10110
About the Juror
Dan Burkholder is known for looking over photography’s horizon to discover exciting new ways to capture and express the photographic image. In the early 1990’s Dan wrote the groundbreaking book Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing, opening doors for legions of image-makers wishing to combine the precision of digital imaging with the warmth and charm of the handmade print. After Hurricane Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast in 2005, Burkholder recorded the chaos of post-Katrina New Orleans in his poignant monograph, The Color of Loss, the first coffee table book photographed entirely with HDR (High Dynamic Range) techniques. And in 2012, Burkholder led the mobile photography revolution with his forward-looking book iPhone Artistry.
Dan earned his BA and master’s degrees in Photography from Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California. His platinum/palladium and pigmented ink prints are included in private and public collections internationally. Dan’s web site is www.DanBurkholder.com.
Public Lecture Details (July 7th, 2022 at 7pm via Zoom)
“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Darkroom”
With his legendary photographic and humorous insights, Dan Burkholder weaves a visual tale of decades in the world of classic darkroom photography to his pioneering path of innovative digital imaging and printing techniques. From film to iPhone, Dan’s lecture will fill you with inspiration to add beauty, intrigue and fun to your own photography.
Workshop Details (July 8-10, 2022, via Zoom, times listed below)
The way we use our iPhones to photograph changes with leaps and bounds almost daily. This workshop brings you up to speed with new ways to shoot, edit and stylize your photos, taking you from casual captures to serious artwork.
Your every iPhone Artistry urge will have time to flex and stretch, learning the latest skills that empower you to craft images that you’ll be proud to share, exhibit and sell.
No longer limited to working with jpegs, we’ll plunge into the flexible world of Raw files from our iPhones and iPads. From detailed landscapes to portraiture, learn how your iPhone excels at photo assignments that only a heavy DSLR could tackle in the days of old. And, yes, learn when it is time to pick up a larger camera for specific tasks.
- From perfectly straight landscapes to painterly effects, learn how to steer your iPhone images in a direction that mirrors your personal vision.
- Learn the benefits of shooting both jpegs and Raw files. There’s no right or wrong in this workshop but you need to know which is right for you!
- And if you like to shoot with a “bigger” camera, learn how easy it is to move your images to your iPhone/iPad for editing and sharing. Your travel photography will never be the same!
- Discover the best way to convert color images to tonally rich black and white.
- Explore advanced editing techniques that help you develop your personal iPhoneography style.
- Learn how to delve into those family history projects you’ve been putting off for years. You’ll finally turn that shoebox of tiny prints into meaningful (and shareable) memories.
You’ll leave this class with a visual bandolier of techniques to elevate your iPhone images above the ocean of filter effects and borders.
Friday, 7/8/22 5-7pm
Saturday, 7/9/22 9-12pm & 1-3pm
Sunday, 7/10/22 9-12pm & 1-3pm
All sessions via Zoom.